We’re Hiring- Engagement Specialist (part-time)
Engagement Specialist- NAMI Wake County
Part-Time, 15 hours/week
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: The NAMI Wake County’s mission is to provide support, education, and advocacy, to individuals, families, and caregivers living with mental health challenges to lead better lives in Wake County. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. experiences mental illness each year, which means over 200,000 adults in Wake County, have a need for the support, education and advocacy that NAMI Wake County offers.
The organization is focused on the following three goals:
- Sustainable resources effectively support the delivery of NAMI Wake County’s mission.
- NAMI Wake is an inclusive, equitable organization that reflects the needs of everyone with a lived experience.
- NAMI Wake will utilize resources effectively and efficiently by providing high quality programs to maximize impact.
NAMI Wake County is an affiliate of the nationwide network that includes the NAMI North Carolina and the National Alliance on Mental Illness. NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
To learn more, visit: www.nami-wake.org
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Engagement Specialist will be responsible for helping to screen new volunteers, coordinating messaging among outreach volunteers and work study students, and identifying and developing opportunities to engage the larger community. This will include working with the Marketing & Communications Committee on developing strategy around telling our story and its execution. This position will report to the Executive Director. Preference will be given to individuals with lived mental illness experience and those living in Wake County.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Identifying and screening volunteers to assist and lead within the organization.
- Connecting volunteers with their volunteer leaders for a warm-hand off.
- Coordinating supplemental trainings for communication volunteers so that they feel equipped in their positions.
- Working with the Executive Director and the Communications Committee on developing strategy for telling our story in a way that will assist with program promotion, advocacy, membership, and donor communication.
- Creating content calendars for streamlined storytelling across platforms.
- Creating content as it relates to the approved strategy.
- Identifying opportunities for spreading the message of the organization across Wake County. This includes, but is not limited to print media, news media, speaking opportunities, and events.
- Developing relationships with media and organizations that could help in spreading our mission.
- Supporting outreach volunteers at tabling events.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assisting with outreach events.
- Filling in when volunteers cannot be replaced last minute.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL& LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred but equivalent experience and certifications will be considered.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years related experience coordinating or working closely with volunteers.
- Prior experience with communications systems preferred.
- Intermediate computer skills and knowledge of relevant software packages (Office365, MS Excel, MS Word) required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, be self-directed, and take initiative.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with and to support a multidisciplinary team.
- Preference will be given to individuals with lived mental illness experience and those living in Wake County.
Job Type: Part-Time
Salary: $15.00/hr for up to 15 hours each week.
Location: Wake County with the ability to come into Raleigh office at least once/week.
Required work authorization: United States
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications to Annie Schmidt (email@example.com) by January 15, 2020.