Volunteer Opportunity: CIT Training
Are you a volunteer with NAMI Wake looking for an opportunity to make an impact directly in our community? CIT (Crisis Intervention Training), is a partnership between NAMI Wake, Alliance Behavioral Health, and Wake Tech, in which law enforcement officers are taught de-escalation and support techniques to assist an individual in crisis. Volunteers are needed to share their story and participate in role-playing scenarios.
- People living in recovery of mental health conditions, especially those who have additionally encountered law enforcement, who are willing to share their story and/or help to train officers de-escalation and support techniques to assist an individual in crisis.
- Panel Speakers – This is an opportunity for you to share your story in a way that is open, honest and relatable to the audience; for example, you can speak about when you first noticed symptoms, some of the progression, and how having a mental illness changed your life. Depending on how much you wish to share, this is a commitment of 5 to 15 minutes.
- Role-Play Volunteers – This is an opportunity to role-play various assigned scenarios related to mental health crises to allow the officer to practice the approaches that they have been learning. No experience is needed for this.
- There will be masks and social distancing.
- Thursday October 22nd and Friday October 23rd
- You are helping to teach a new round of police officers to respond effectively and compassionately to crises. The impact of having officers trained in CIT is enormous for those going through a crisis – you might be saving a life by ensuring that people in crises are connected with the proper resources and treated with understanding.
- You can connect with other people in recovery from mental health conditions, and make new connections you might not have been able to before.
- It is a great opportunity to share your journey of mental health and your past experiences with law enforcement to a group of people who are enthusiastic to hear you and accept you.
We are offering mileage reimbursement and a $15 gift card for lunch to every person who volunteers!
To register for this volunteer opportunity, contact: email@example.com