|NAMI NC helpline Monday -
Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm.
800- 451-9682 (NC only)
|NAMI Wake County
|Alliance Behavioral Healthcare
24-Hour Information & Crisis Line
Call for informaiton about Mental Health Services in
Wake, Durham, Johnston,& Cumberland Counties
|Support, Education, Advocacy
for people with a
mental illness, their families & friends
|Work Part-Time for NAMI Wake County
NAMI Wake County Program & Volunteer Coordinator
This is a 20 hour per week, part-time, contract position. The salary is $15 and is not negotiable. The ideal
candidate will have a passion for NAMI Wake County’s mission of providing support, education and advocacy for
people with mental illness and their families. They will have flexible schedules and enjoy connecting with others
who value the NAMI Wake mission and seek our services. The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, an Associates Degree from a community college, or
verifiable experience & skills stated below
- Self-confidence, self-direction and tact
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt to flexible hours
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Powerpoint, web based mail, browsers
and internet, social media.
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license, auto insurance and personal means of transportation
- Work closely with the NAMI Wake County Program Committee Chairperson.
- Serve as primary liaison between NAMI Wake County and NAMI NC on NAMI Wake County Programs.
- Perform all tasks to organize classes for each NAMI Wake program including Family to Family, BASICS,
Peer to Peer, Family Support : This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Establish a quarterly calendar, recruit teachers, maintain a waiting list, screen potential students
- Keep potential students informed about classes
- Assist teachers with class logistics such as locating a classroom, printing, and refreshments.
- Advertise classes
- Schedule appropriate NAMI Wake leaders to speak to classes
- Attend first & last classes to explain the purpose of the evaluations and to encourage everyone to
participate & to explain the benefits of joining NAMI Wake and getting involved in other activities & to deliver
& retrieve materials.
- Actively recruit and engage volunteers to help carry out the NAMI Wake County mission following NAMI
Wake County volunteer policy. This includes working with other NAMI Wake contractors, Board Committee
and Subcommittee Chairs to identify needs and maintain a list of volunteer opportunities.
- Engage and recruit potential volunteers to train as teachers and support group leaders for NAMI programs.
- Advertise opportunities
- Attend NAMI Wake education meeting and other events in the community to recruit volunteers.
- Have volunteers complete volunteer application, screen volunteers in a face to face interview and check
- Schedule people for NAMI Wake County orientation online training and present the class using
- Refer volunteers to NAMI Wake leader needing volunteer support.
- Develop a tracking procedure to collect names and numbers of hours & tasks for each volunteers.
- Ensure appropriate recognition of volunteers taking advantage of NAMI Wake County events such as COC,
Holiday Party, and education meetings. Solicit gift cards and other appropriate donations for use in
rewarding volunteers who have made significant contributions.
To apply, contact Ann Akland, email@example.com.